Thursday, December 04, 2014

REVIEW: Popeyes Spice Box Chicken


I fucking love Popeyes Chicken.  As soon as I had my first bite I knew then and there that Colonel Sanders was dead to me, Popeyes is Dark Side of the Moon while KFC is The Final Cut.  When I lived in London there was a glut of Popeyes littered across the city, including on my bus route to work.  I would frequently get off, pick up a 20 pack and eat like a King for a week (lie detector bleeps)...OK 4 days (bleep!)... 18 hours (ding! ding!). When I moved to Kingston I was shocked and appalled to discover there wasn't a single location in the city, I should've known then that it wouldn't work out for me there.  Here in my beloved Hamilton there was once a Popeyes beside my old high school... why in the fuck was that not there when I was at Westdale??  I seriously would've eaten there everyday instead of Pizza Pizza or the shitty cafeteria.  I am ashamed of my old high school for letting it go out of business, it was the darkest moment in Westdale history since someone went #2 on the floor of the Peer bathroom. Did I not teach those kids anything?  Anyways, it requires a 15 minute walk followed by a 10 minute bus up the Mountain for me to get to the closest Popeyes on Fennel and Upper Wentworth, but it's something I am more than willing to do to get me some delicious Popeyes and I did it today to give their Spice Box Chicken a try.


I rarely stray from my 4 Piece Bonafide Combo, in fact there is a lot of stuff there I want to try, but it's such a hassle to get there, I don't want to waste a visit on fish or shrimp.  When I walked into the store today I was overwhelmed by the aroma of deliciousness, and saw two heaping piles of spicy and mild bone-in chicken, being Thursday 3 pieces were on special, I was this close to going for the usual, but alas I was on a mission to review their new Spice Box Chicken for the dozen or so fans of this shitty blog.  I am glad that I got the Spice Box Chicken, it was about 8 thin white chicken strips, it was made with their traditional delectable spicy breading, with a sprinkling of magical cajun dust on top.  The best part is they make these to order, if I have one minor complaint about Popeyes they make a shit ton of chicken at once and it just sits under a heat lamp for god knows how long, while it would be delicious even after 48 hours under a heat lamp, the fresher the better. The real winner though is that blackened ranch dipping sauce, boy oh boy I could use a tub of that around the ol' homestead.  For a paltry $4.99 it comes with a heaping helping of fries and a biscuit.  The drink was extra, but I got this future family heirloom with my meal...


It's a collectible cup with Ol' Santy Claus carrying a sackful of chicken! I always knew Santa was a Popeyes fan, in fact I am sure he would prefer some chicken left out for him instead of shitty old cookies and milk.  You can even leave out some biscuits for Rudolph and the rest of the reindeer!  I am going to keep this cup forever, and use it at my Christmas dinner year after year, which will surely annoy my mother to no end... which makes it completely worth it!

As always I am looking for suggestions for my next place to review, my bud Tyler World Peace has suggested a few places for me to try in Toronto which I will be doing in the near future.  In the meantime tweet at me @HDH2112 if you have any suggestions!

No comments: