Wednesday, January 02, 2013

McDonald's Power Rankings - London, Ontario edition

I love McDonald's. I have since I was a kid, I've seen Super Size Me, I've seen what all the negative fucks say about the "calories" and "fat", and "if you eat it too much you'll die" but I don't care. I'd say a good 85% of the time I get the exact same thing a Big Mac combo with a Sprite. It's been my go-to McD's choice since Grade 5. I'll switch and get the other sandwiches from time to time, never the Filet-O-Fish though, Fuck the Filet-o Fish. Two of my favourite follows on Twitter @Archizuber and @ryantologist frequently talk about the Power Rankings of McDonald's in Toronto, which got me thinking about how I'd rate the McDonald's here in London. Me and Killer @ryanbourdeau thought once about visiting every McDonald's in town to write a review, but we never got around to it, and he has moved to Kingston. We did make it to a few though. Without further ado here is my current Top 3 and Bottom 3 of McDonald's in London

 TOP 3

1. Wonderland & Oxford

 This location was actually the first McDonald's in Canada. The actual location looks like one from the 60's and there is some cool memorabilia, pictures and shit inside this location. The line-up situation was well managed, I've only been to this location a few times, but it's always been a good experience.


2. Wharncliffe & Baseline

When I came and visited family in London growing up we always went to this McDonald's so this is a bit of a nostalgia vote. McDonald's uses London as a test market for new menu items. I had a McDonalds pizza (aside: McDonald's pizza was amazing) and a McFlurry here before it was available in all stores.

3. Wellington and Commissioners

This is the first time I've seen a fireplace in a McDonalds. Excellent sauce distribution on my Big Mac. I should go to this one more often.

BOTTOM 3

1. Dundas and Richmond

Worst McDonald's in all of Canada. Thankfully there is nothing wrong with the food, it has everything to do with the clientele. Every skid in London frequents Dundas and Richmond, standing around waiting for the bus hacking darts, pill sales going on the regular. It truly is the armpit of the city, however its where my bank is and it's been the most convenient McDonald's for me to go since I've lived downtown (going on 7 years!) There is always a line-up so you have to stand there in line judging everyone around you. People ask you for money, teen mothers are feeding their brood of most likely unfortunately named offspring. The one cashier that has been there forever truly hates her life. Her voice grizzled from years of smoking darts. I always have straight forward orders, but she has little patience for others who take forever then order dumb shit with modifiers. This location has a walk up window, so whenever someone presses that button it lets off a god-awful noise. Then you have to sit there and eat, you're satisfied with the food, but depressed about the atmosphere. I might actually write a full post one day about how much I hate the Dundas and Richmond McDonalds.

2. Wharncliffe and Oxford

It pains me to put this location on this list. It started with so much promise, I lived a 3 minute walk to this place when it opened just before my 2nd year at UWO. Me and my room-mates ate here all the time, this was in the days of the $3.99 meal of the day. Plus we had the Hockey Hero Sandwich at this location, that has kind of gone down as folklore to me and my old room-mates, we still talk about that night to this day. All that being said this location has gone to complete shit, extremely unorganized staff, the line up situation is horrific, it's kind of a free for all. I'll never, ever give staff at a fast food restaurant (or any waiter and a normal restaurant) shit for anything, even if they completely fuck up, but they suck big time here. They used to let you walk through the drive-thru back in the day, but they put the kybosh on that so that's more points deducted.

3. Hyde Park Wal-Mart

Wal-Mart McDonald's are the worst. a) you're in Wal-Mart that's depressing enough and b) they don't have a full menu there. I work right beside the massive Wal-Mart off Fanshawe Park road, so I go there all the time for lunch, so I have been to this location quite a bit. The pickle distribution on the Big Mac is awful, they have scaled back to 1 pickle, I have to ask those assholes for extra pickles each time. They never have ice cream available, I don't always get it but I do enjoy a McCone on a warm day, who doesn't? Plus when you use a coupon they always keep it, most McDonald's give it back to you so you can use it again.

Well that was a lot of words spilled out about McDonald's. This blog is a work in progress to say the least, hope you enjoyed the post, and I'll be posting more dumb shit soon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Comments are up? G-Unit.